Sunday, December 10, 2017

Bob the Builder Builder's Yard - Cake Version

Sprog has turned three, and with a birthday comes a party. I already made him a shirt for his Bob the Builder costume, now it was cake time. To make things fairly easy for myself I chose to do a cake version of the Builder's Yard where Bob has his office, and all the work vehicles are parked. It is also implied that Bob lives there.

It looks like this in toy form:
It a very busy time of year for us and I after a particularly stressful start of the week I decided to ease my workload. I went to the supermarket and ordered a plain slab of chocolate sponge cake to carve and ice. 

I had borrowed some Bob toys from a friend and used a selection on the cake.  The design itself was simple, a large square of double sponge, with a house and shed along one side, a lean to on the other, a wooden fence on 2 sides and chocolate gravel on the yard itself. Added to that was Pilchard the cat, Spud the scarecrow, and of course, Bob and Wendy. 

The house and shed were layers of sponge cut to size, then iced with fondant roofs and windows. Pilchard sat on the roof of the house. The lean-to was in another corner with Spud the scarecrow hiding on the roof waiting for the opportunity to create mischief.

The fencing was made of alternating wafer sticks. Alternating so I would get maximum coverage without a change in visual from one type to another. They held themselves up from being stuck to the buttercream icing.  For the gravel I tossed white and dark chocolate buttons in the food processors and whizzed until it was small enough and spread it over the rest. Leftover wafers filled the lean-to, the bucket on Scoop (the red one). Leftover gravel was put down for Scoop to scoop up. Unfortunately the carefully placed gravel did not make it to the party, it was too enticing for the newly minted 3-year-old to play with. 



No comments:

Post a Comment